Monday, August 10, 2009

So here's some more photos from Bali. We had such a great time, and saw so many things. It was quite a packed, busy holiday, but we still found time for massages, pedicures, manicures and cocktails.

Uluwatu temple right down the south point of the island is breathtakingly beautiful (and full of cheeky monkeys!).






The Balinese Cultural Centre is quite awe inspiring with its two magnificent statues of Balinese gods. This one below is Garuda.





This one is yet to be finished....


See, here's his arms, almost ready to be attached.




We got up early one morning to watch the sunrise on Sanur beach......























After the sun was up we had a delicious breakfast at a hotel right on the beach. Heaven!


The rice paddies up around Ubud are absolutely breathtaking. This photo unfortunately doesn't do them justice.



We saw a number of magnificent, ancient temples, set in luscious tropical grounds.
















































The Balinese bathe at this particular temple because it is said to wash away your problems.




We visited Kintami, an active volcano in the north of the island. It was a spectacular view and there are a number of restaurants to eat at and take in the view.







Just for fun, I've included a couple of photos of the main mode of transport in Bali - scooters. There are hundreds on the street at any one time, with up to four people on them. We saw a person on their scooter carrying huge bags of rice, two were carrying a ladder and another two were carrying a window pane!



These people in the image below soon took off and were hurtling down the freeway at 60km per hour!


We also took an elephant ride, went swimming, ate out every night, saw a couple of bands and did lots of shopping. The shops in Bali are many and varied, ranging from little stalls selling shell jewellery and designer t-shirt rip offs, to rather exclusive shops selling sophisticated resort ware or homewares.
I think that if you were building a magnificent brand new house, and wanted to fill it with asian antiques, curios and modern asian furniture, a trip to Bali would be worthwhile, even when you include the shipping expenses. You can get everything from giant stone buddha heads to beautiful mother of pearl photo frames.

Like any country, Bali has the good, the bad and the ugly. There appears to be a lot of poverty, and many people work incredibly hard just to eke out a living. But having said that, the Balinese people seem very content, and from what I saw, are incredibly gracious people with the biggest, warmest smiles I've ever seen.


If you are planning to go to Bali here are my tips -
1. take good walking shoes because the footpaths are treacherous or non-existent!
2. spoil yourself by taking in the sunset over the beach at Ku De Tah or the Oberoi at Seminyak, while sipping one of their delicious cocktails
3. watch the sunrise at the beach at Sanur
4. take Travelan tablets with every meal to avoid Bali Belly
5. book a hotel for a few days overlooking the rice paddies at Ubud.

Ok, I hope I haven't lost you with my travel log. My next post will be back to business as usual, I promise!

44 comments:

Lee said...

Your holiday looks and sounds as though it was blissful! I've got an Asian break planned for October, and seeing your photos makes me want to jump on the plane right now! Thanks for sharing the pics. Lee :)

Alison Gibbs said...

Looks like you had a great time in Bali. It is such a pretty place to be
Alison

Saskia said...

Isn't Bali the most special place?! I love your photos... they took me back to June last year when I was on my honeymoon there! We stayed in the Oberoi in Seminyak!

Saskia x

CrowNology said...

Hi Catherine,
Lovely photos.
I love the arms.
And the sunset/sunrise shots.
Andrea

Heidi said...

how fabulous. my husband and i never went on a honeymoon, maybe bali is the place to go? I am so glad that you treated yourself, you deserve it girl, and happy birthday. Heidi

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

oh such an amazing place to visit! wonderful time you had! thanks for sharing, darling! xo

ana said...

I want to gooooooo there
you are a great photographer!!

Lauren said...

how beautiful!!!!! wow now I want to go. so amazing. glad you had such a grrat time!!! :)
xoxo

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Glad you had such a good time Catherine. Bali is a special place. A wonderful feeling of peace there despite their poverty. Your photos are great and make me want to return. Maybe this time I will do the sunrise!! hehe x Julie

Struggler said...

What an amazing country... it's definitely on my list... one day!

Brabourne Farm said...

I've not been to Bali but after seeing your wonderful photos I think it maybe time for a re-think. So glad you had a fabulous time. Leigh

Draffin Bears said...

I loved seeing your holiday snaps of Bali, Catherine.
Glad you were able to treat yourself with manicures, cocktails and shopping.
Thanks for sharing your photos.

Enjoy your week
Hugs
Carolyn

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Such a wonderful sounding holiday!! Those statues, even without arms, are rather scary! I enlarged all your gorgeous photographs to get the full glorious effect! Beautiful.

But, "Bali Belly"? Is that sort of like Montezuma's Revenge in Mexico??

Kath Lockett said...

I've only been there the once in 1996.... You clearly have an 'eye' because your photos are magnificent!

My name is PJ. said...

You have made a place I've only ever seen in my dreams so much more real to me! The beauty defies description, doesn't it? *sigh*
Thanks for sharing these photos, Catherine. I'm so glad your birthday trip was fabulous. You deserve it!

Rachel Follett said...

It looks amazing. Bali is definitely on my list of places to see. Thanks for the photos!

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

Beautiful and intriguing! I am so glad you enjoyed this trip - thank you for taking so many photos and for sharing them here. I feel like I've been on a virtual vacation :)

MissBliss said...

that sunrise was gorgeous!

I'd love to bathe at a temple that takes away problems!!!

fabulous!

Chrissy said...

What lovely photos...looks and sounds like you had a great time!! All the best,Chrissy

Porch Days said...

Thanks for the tour! Lovely!

Too much time on my hands said...

oh you make me miss it. We stayed in Sanur and would love to go back.

Katrina Chambers said...

I have just discovered your blog and have probably spent the last hour and half reading it. Love it! I shall be back more often!!

Beach Vintage said...

Its so great to experience Bali. Looks like you achieved this and much more.

maría cecilia said...

I´ve found your blog again!! So... you went to Bali, that´s great...Hope to do it some day.. India is the closest place I´ve been.
Congratulations for your wonderful blog.
María Cecilia
from Chile, southamerica

vicki archer said...

Great pics...Have a wonderful weekend, xv.

erin said...

you are a lucky soul, indeed, to travel to such an enchanting place!

Millie said...

Your lovely post has definitely taken the chill out of the air up here in Stirling Catherine! Delighted you had such a relaxing time, you deserved it in buckets.
Millie ^_^

prashant said...

Looks like you had a great time in Bali. It is such a pretty place to be Work From Home

Enzie Shahmiri said...

I was in Bali many years ago and wished I had more time to see all the other lovely things that you have written about.

Simply Defined Design said...

Hello,
I am new to your blog, your Bali trip looks amazing. Thanks for inspiring!
Best, Connie

prashant said...

Thanks for sharing the pics.
Banner Advertising Network India

Francine Gardner said...

Bali has such a soft spiritual beauty. I don't love the beach as much as the mountains and the rice patties...rain or shine, this is such a special place on Earth

Francine Gardner said...

Bali has such a soft spiritual beauty. I don't love the beach as much as the mountains and the rice patties...rain or shine, this is such a special place on Earth

hxl said...

tn requin

chaussures tn

women's shoes

chaussure requin

air max

chaussures sport

air 90

air 95

chaussures pas cher

air bw

air max

air 90

air chaussures

discount handbags

timberland

timberland chaussures

bottes ugg

ugg classic

ugg

bottes ugg

Chaussures Femmes

ugg classic

ugg

moncler

Chaussures mode

doudoune moncler

健康365天天网秉承为大家带去健康365天为己任,联合各大国内外知名品牌,其中国外加拿大营养屋系列产品为主,健康药品大全几乎被加拿大营养屋产品所覆盖。国内知名品牌欣乐佳以高纯度提取技术为优势,给大家带来高纯度、高质量,健康365天优质生活。欣乐佳的高纯度提取技术堪称国内提取技术行业领头人。中食月太也是保健品行业的新生力量,肽产品是中食月太不可忽视的主推品牌力量,完全符合国家食源性低聚肽标准和行业标准。健康365天天网集国内外,知名三大品牌,成就保健品行业先锋。带给大家最新、最安全、纯度最高的,保健健康药品大全

Olivia said...

Hello,

I'm Olivia from Brazil.
I saw your blog and I really liked it, and also this artical because I will go there in 3 months.
And I would like to present my blog:
www.inandoutdecor.blogspot.com

Hope you enjoy!!

Olivia Vianna

Stuart Membery Home Collection said...

Beautiful photo's - thanks for reminding me why I live here. Those arms are incredible - I need to go see them - I hope they stay on the ground like that.
Stu x

Arfi Binsted said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Bali. We always love to come back each year to enjoy the sun, food, and art there.
Cheers from New Zealand,
ab

khani said...

I like this blog, good luck ..! also visit hotel in bandung or nikon digital camera cases

katelyndunn said...

A country really worth going to, my family and I were there last 3 months ago and we had a great time.

~Cape Coral Properties

haileynichols said...

It always comes down to good content that people are interested in.
Cape Coral Rental Management

katelyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katelyn said...

Wanted to spent atleast one week. Very alluring photos..

Carney.

Barbara Jordan Dettweiler said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Real Estate Philippines said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.