Monday, June 1, 2009

Silver lining





My eye is always drawn to anything silver. I love this picture above - the silver of the mirror, the mercury candlesticks, the tea lights and baubles - all twinkling in the candlelight. It just makes me sigh.


I love the real silver of these candlesticks below, although I wouldn't relish cleaning them. I have a real silver box in my bedroom for my jewellry that needs a regular clean and that's enough for me!






This collection of vases, trophies, bowls and pedestal stands is captivating!







I also love mercury glass - the so-called 'poor man's silver'.





And not just candlesticks. I would love to get some of these little cups, but haven't been able to find any yet.








I also love the silver metal of this gorgeous Moroccan lantern, and the silver of the metal platter.




More gorgeous metal platters. I spied a really beautiful one in a shop just recently - however it was $180, so I put it down - slowly.







I love this mercury pendant - I can picture three over a kitchen bench in a country style all-white kitchen.





I love the silver leaf treatment on this lovely, feminine chair.



My perfect kitchen would include lashings of stainless steel - lightfittings, dishwasher, stove, fridge, drawer pulls and cupboard handles.




And it would have lots of 'silver' accessories.




Even the sweet, humble silver of galvanised iron wins me over!


Anything silver just attracts my magpie eye - whether that be 'real' silver, metal, stainless steel, chrome, mercury glass, pewter - I love love love it all! Astrologically speaking, I'm a cancerian and cancer's colours are supposed to be 'white and silver' - yep, that's me! I even have silver velvet cushions on my bed (see top right hand corner of this blog for image).

I'm on the hunt for some mercury candlesticks. I have one in my bedroom but would like a little collection. I'm having difficulty finding any where I live, so I'm thinking of ordering some through Cox and Cox, the most divine UK store - which delivers to Australia. Yay!

Happy day to you all.


Best wishes,

31 comments:

ness lockyer said...

I am partial to Poor Mans Glass...Poor Ness'Glass!, Zinc and like you, galvanised buckets etc. Love this post.
Ness xx

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Just Beautiful Catherine! I am an avid silver lover also. I have a collection of antique teapots, cutlery, & nicknacks in the real thing and yep it does require cleaning but i am not overzealous about it. I think a little tarnish adds to the beauty! You may be able to find some mercury glass candlesticks in either Freedom or Ikea (I have some from both stores). Then again, it's always fun to get a treasure from overseas. I have to go back now and linger over each of these beautiful images. Thanks: Julie

Kellie ~ Ada and Darcy said...

Silver and flowers are just amazing - rustic, charming and beautiful. Gorgeous post!

Flax and Spindle said...

Just beautiful, what is it about those things that make us love it so much?

SamiG said...

Beautiful post, I love anything shiny, sparkly and silver too! I am seriously craving mirrored furniture right now. Thank you for the wonderful pics.

Samantha

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

such a beautiful post Catherine! I adore that silver and white chair!

tales from an oc cottage said...

What gorgeousness!

m ^..^

My name is PJ. said...

I like pewter and stainless and even plumbing fixtures...anything not really shiny. That being said, photo number one twinkled and twinkling is perfect with me. Shiny, not so much. Lovely post!

Melissa said...

I love mercury glass too....I have several pieces in my dining room for a little sparkle!
Love the kitchen you pictured.

www.fordsbigbluehouse.blogspot.com

alice said...

These are beautiful!
I love mercury glass- I guess that's good becaue I can afford that much more so than real silver :)

alice said...

These are beautiful!
I love mercury glass- I guess that's good becaue I can afford that much more so than real silver :)

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

So many pretty photos, loved them.

anna said...

Hi, just found your blog. I love my mercury candlesticks. They look chic and not too shiny.

I got some from cox and cox too. Don't tell everyone or they will put their prices up!!

TheDecoDetective said...

Gosh, Catherine, what a gorgeous collection of photos! Thanks for taking the time to make this post! I'm right with you regarding the polishing - but except for that, I love silver. In jewelry, I like silver more than gold, actually (except for white gold, of course...).
These photos are so beautiful that I can't even think of a favourite!

Trudi xo

the7daggetts said...

My favorites are Mercury glass and anything galvanized. Anything not too shiny, and sorta rough and beat up looking.

Rachel Follett said...

I am such a silver girl as well. Great shots!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Catherine,

Beautiful post.
I am a bit of a magpie and attracted to anything shiny.

That is the drawback though, the cleaning. My husband's parents gave us a wedding gift of a silver tea set which I have used about twice, looks nice in the China cabinet. I prefer my China teapot.

Have a great week ~ you will be looking forward to your long weekend coming up.

Hugs
Carolyn

Cynthia at A Shimmy in My Spirit said...

Wonderful post. I enjoyed looking at all the silver and glass. Your blog really is beautiful...it's feminine in the most refined way. . . a real inspiration.

Millie said...

What a stunning collection of images Catherine! I saw some pretty mercury glass pieces @ Adairs @ the Mile End HM Centre last week, & really well priced too. Great news for me about Cox & Cox shipping to Aust., not good for MOTH though, I'm supposed to be on a no-spend month!
Millie ^_^

viera said...

Catherine, very lovely post. I love your silver and "silverisch" pics. So beautiful.
XX
V

sealaura said...

what a pretty post dear catherine! I have missed visiting you. hopefully I will be back in my routine now that I have moved. Love the silver.

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

Love that mercury pendant!

I didn't know astrological signs had colors associated. That's interesting.

Melissa said...

Lovely images, i love the flowers in the silver cups. Beautiful!

timelesshome annika said...

I love anything in slver. I think you would like the bottel of essence by narciso rodriguez. i just got it both for the silver bottel and the special smell.
Annika

Anita said...

Have been following your blog now for a while and cannot get over how similiar your tastes are to mine. well now I know why, we are fellow cancerians! Love the silver, love the white - cannot go wrong. Happy birthday for whenever... Anita

Amber said...

Gorgeous! I love silver too in the right setting. I am in love with Swedish silver herring servers at the moment. You can pick them up over here for about 1 dollar each in flea markets!!

Lee said...

I love silver and pewter too - the candlesticks in this post are exquisite. I wish they were sitting on my shelf! Good luck with tracking down the mercury candlesticks in Adelaide. Lee :)

River said...

Beautiful silver items you have here this week. I don't like the silver chair though. It looks cold to me. I love the way silver gleams in candlelit rooms. Especially antique silver.

Alison Gibbs said...

All I can say is thank goodness I love the look of 'tarnished' silver. Cos that's what I have
Alison

Lynne said...

i love your blog and have added it to my links.
i adore silver also!

michele said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.