Monday, June 15, 2009

Metal magic




I've had this little post tucked under my belt for quite a while now, waiting for the perfect moment to bring it out. And as Mondays can sometimes be a bit of a blah day, I thought I would brighten this day (for me at least, and hopefully you too) with a post about my LOVE for metal!


When I look around my home, I see metal everywhere....from my metal kitchen canisters on my counter tops...to the metal of my dining chair legs...I have metal lanterns, metal framed mirrors, metal letters.... it's everywhere!


I can't even explain why I love it so. I guess I just like the contrast of hard and soft, and metal objects often have quite strong, simple, architectural lines which appeal to my eye. Even the colours of metals - browns, greys, silvers, blacks - steal my heart. And there's a utilitarian honesty about metal - it's as much as home in a workshop or garage as it is in the living room.


So here you have it, some of my favourite metal things!



I adore this vintage metal factory chair and table....





This next image is one big metal festival - tolix chair, lovely little metal cafe table, planter, even metal letters! What's not to love?



I don't know how comfortable they'd be, but I'm loving these outdoor chairs. They'd look equally home inside I think.



Adore this little metal folding table, including it's soft grey colour and gently curving legs.



Love the utilitarian look of these vintage metal beds.



Even old metal drums can look beautiful in the right setting.



And this fabulous metal trolley would look brilliant in a vintage style bathroom.



Even stools look fabulous in metal. These would look great pulled up to a kitchen island.



But it's not just metal furniture that I love. Quite simply, almost anything in metal catches my eye!














Ok, I've cured the Monday blahs for myself, and if you've got the Monday blahs I hope it's helped you a tiny bit too.

If you are craving more metal, check out Jeanne d'Arc Living for lots more metal loveliness.



Best wishes,

21 comments:

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

Another great post, I a such a fan!!!

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

beautiful picks, darling! it's so lovely the contrast between metal and wood!

Claire Jackson said...

I love this Monday post Catherine, absolutely divine! I so agree with you, metal has its place in so many ways, inside and out. You are very clever, and thanks for sharing your gorgeous ideas:-) Have a wonderful week. Claire

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Gorgeous post again Catherine. I so love Tolix chairs. Maybe i'll succumb to just 1 some day. Also loving the folding table and the blue rusty jug. Too many nice things. Cheered me up!

my favorite and my best said...

me too! i adore the way metal edges up an otherwise feminie space. great post.

CrowNology said...

Hi Catherine,
Thanks for your comment. The technology thing is frustrating because I was using and learning on someone else's (new, 14MP Pentax DSLR)and now (the person is gone with camera :)) I am using a camera that is old (Nikon w. 5MP and it has little to offer!)...
Thanks for the hint about the blog HTML too. I wouldn't have thought of it!
How's the little man?
Take care,
Andrea

CrowNology said...

I forgot to say that I have a metal fetish too. Love this post.
Andrea

StrandviksVillan said...

Hi there!
LOOOOVE all of your inspiring pictures! Great blog!

Ann-Christine

Cynthia at A Shimmy in My Spirit said...

I love the mixture of textures. Each picture with a metal piece also has wood, or fabric or flowers...I'm noticing that the metal means you can keep things fairly monochromatic - letting the textures keep it interesting.

{eloquent essence} said...

I don't have as much of a magpie instinct as you, but I adore metal as well. I'm really starting to love metal canisters and pitchers. I just love when the light is streaming through and they shine.

Draffin Bears said...

A wonderful post Catherine.
Love the contrast of metal and wood, makes for an interesting look.

Have a great week
Hugs
Carolyn

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

Love your selection of photos. I definitely have a thing for metal too!

alice said...

I love the texture and the industrial charm of metal too! This weekend I saw some outside dining tables at a restaurant- very very simple base with a wood plank top (I think just made of 2x4s!)... While not a look for everyone, I absolutely love repurposed metal pieces.
These were some great images!

My name is PJ. said...

I love it too and find myself incorporating more of now that the addition is being completed. I like the utilitarian stuff better than the shiny, pristine stuff.

Flax and Spindle said...

I love the farm table in the first pic! Love it Love love it!!!

mondo cherry said...

Metal has been growing on me over the last 5 or so years and just lately I have been a bit obsessed by it. I am desperate for a metal folding table like the grey one (not having much luck finding one though) and metal letters get me every time. A metal trolley could come and live at my place anytime!
Clare x

Rachel Follett said...

I love metal too and I love it even more with rich woods. There is something so beautiful about the two together. I wish I saw that swing seat yesterday for my swing seat post!

Brabourne Farm said...

Gorgeous images - would love to own every one of these beautiful metal treasures! Leigh

Love Where You Live said...

First time to your blog. Lovely images . . . I see a trend here. Soft, romantic and flirty, a little wabi sabi (as Room Service might say)....cheers, -susan

jenniferconnerson said...

These look great. I loved your cafe table. I've also bought a new one from Ballard Designs and it's great.

Margery said...

Wow, I love the good designs and the placements of the hand forged iron bar stools and chairs.

Other than that, metal furniture is good by itself, but there are times that a house's appeal increases when coupled with other design ideas, like using a hand forged iron chandeliers as a lighting fixture.