Tuesday, June 16, 2009

It's all there in black and white




I am having a long and constant love affair with black and white colour schemes. As much as I love the freshness of a blue and white colour scheme (see here), I cannot go past the subtle sophistication of the black and white palette.


But I like a softly softly approach. No harsh big blocks of black for me...I like lots of white, with just little dashes of black here and there to add interest and depth. Take this picture below. An essentially all white room, with just one black cushion and a soft and subtle black and white patterned floor. Dreamy and delicious.


Now this is another look I love - black and white warmed up with a gorgeous, worn wooden floor and table. Perfection!



I love this carefully constructed vignette below - the white, black and soft greys artfully tie these objects together.


I love this striking effect.



Black and white often benefits from a bit of colour. Loving the dash of colour injected by the Chinese canisters on top of this cupboard, below.





Here, a touch of green is added to the otherwise all black and white scheme for an extra bit of interest and texture.

Love this little vignette below, where even the candles are black.

I'm not normally a great fan of patterns, but the simplicity of this room (below) complements the bold, graphic pattern on the couch beautifully.
More gorgeous black and white patterns below. This look is conjuring up images of a sophisticated safari to me.

Images 1 Anders Schonnemanns via Desire to Inspire 2 Skona Hem 3 Country Living 4 Living etc 5 Notebook magazine 6 & 7 Morten Holtum 8 Real Living 9 Skona Hem 10 Day Birger et Mikkelson via Purple Area
Want to see more of my black and white loves? Visit this post here.
Best wishes,

22 comments:

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

oh Catherine! you've found the most lovely examples of black and white spaces! love those black hanging lamps!

Melissa said...

Love it! Love the wall of b/w photos.

Blue Creek Home said...

Your fifth photo is my dream wall...if only they were arches!!! All of the photos are just gorgeous. I got that little shelf at a very upscale florist in Auburn AL, who has incredible HALF PRICE sales twice a year. I almost hyperventilate when I shop there!!
Rhon

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage said...

Beautiful photos! I'm with you on a love for black and white...especially with a touch of warm wood. I sometimes wish I had the discipline to decorate that simply. It's just so soothing and beautiful.

Tanya said...

These rooms are so yummy! I used to have a bedroom shaped just like the first picture in our "first ever" fixer upper house. The slanted ceilings didn't bother me a bit because it was a huge bedroom. Thanks for the b&w eye candy!

ana said...

Hi! I love this black and white decoration pictures!! I have a wall in my home just like the photo no. 5 :) full with family and friends pictures..

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

I beat you to this one...I have already done my black and white post...lol I think we think alike. lol Thanks for the sweet note that you left in my garden.

Kristin said...

My whole house is made up of these colors except my nieces bedroom that I made pink. Perfect and lovely to be found in each of these images!

Natalie said...

Absolutely lovely! I always thought black and white would be "cold" - now I know better!!

Thanks for the great images.

Karin said...

Your photos are lovely and the natural surroundings are quite soothing.
My uncle lives in Currarong, Australia.
It's been nice visiting your pretty blog ~ I'll be back:)

sealaura said...

dear catherine,
i just moved so i am catching up on all your beautiful posts. As always so many visual treats over here.

Oliveaux said...

Love all these beautiful images. The photo wall is stunning!! I think you cannot go past classic b&w so easy to live with. Ax

My name is PJ. said...

Gorgeous shots! Truth be told, I like all whites and earth tones punctuated in black. Black gives the eye a place to rest and helps visually ground things for me.

Leen said...

I love the pics that you chose. I normally would have said no to black and white because I love color but suddenly I have had a change of heart :)

Alison Gibbs said...

Great post Catherine. Love the one that is all white with just the 'splash of black in the cushion and floor
Alison

Lee said...

Hi Catherine, these are great examples of ways in which black & white can be used in a subtle manner. Absolutely gorgeous. Lee :)

Pearl Maple said...

A little black to frame all that beautiful white is a perfect combination.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Catherine,

What lovely examples of black and white. I always like it because I think it looks so clean and simple.

The photo of your darling boy as a baby is delightful. What an absolute sweetie.

hugs
Carolyn

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

Gorgeous rooms! I have always thought that a little bit of black anchors any room well. But I'm not a designer - I just like the way it looks :)

ness lockyer said...

Ooooo! with you there. White with hints of black is eternally sophisticated and always beautiful. Maybe when the boys don't live here any more =)
Ness xx

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Great examples of black and white at it's finest. They are all lovely and the patterned (tiled?) floor in the 2nd image - fabulous!

Jan said...

Black & White, hmmmmmm??? or just White??? Its so hard to say which is my absolute favourite. For now, having just seen these gorgeous examples I think I have to go with Black & White.