Monday, May 11, 2009

Kitchen dreams



It's true, I have a perfectly serviceable kitchen. It's clean, it's new, it's practical. I appreciate it. I've cooked a lot of nice meals in it (and a few duds!). But it's not a kitchen that says 'wow'. Here it is, my little piece of domestica (below).


But you can't blame me for dreaming just a little....of the day when I meet Mr Right, and we decide that we need a bigger house, with a bigger kitchen....for us and our beautifully behaved children.

So of course, my starting point would have to be the white, classic Somethings Gotta Give kitchen, but that goes without saying right? And really, why stop there?



There'd be cupboards with glass on the top, like these below.




Or these glass faced cupboards. And a red Kitchenaid mixer, without a doubt.



There'd be three beautiful lamps hanging over my benchtop, looking like this one below.


Or these.

I've just got to have a window over looking the sink, and the taps would be brushed silver.




I'd also have brushed silver drawer pulls.


There'd be a really wide, stainless silver oven, top of the line quality of course.


I'd put baskets on top of the cupboards.



I'd add some antique elements, such as an old scale like this below (and look, there's the red Kitchenaid mixer again!)


Or I'd pop in an unusual element, like these old fridge door hinges on my massive kitchen bench.

There'd be rustic wooden stools, so my guests can pull up a pew while I'm stirring the risotto.
The front of the cupboards would be panelled like these ones below.



There'd be a statement-making rangehood, and beautiful dark - really dark - wooden floors.



The floorboards would be wide, and recycled - proudly showings their signs of wear and tear.




I'd maybe add some wording across the splashback tiles.




And the benchtops would be stone, in a soft muted earthy colour.


Not too much to ask for is it?
In the meantime, I'm still pretty happy with what I've got. There's a lovely vegetable and lentil soup bubbling on the stove right now, just perfect for a cold night.
Images 1 Notebook Magazine 2 Simply Natural 3 unknown 4 via Lilly-g 5 via Charm Design 6 Studio Pedrazzi Architects via Willow Decor 7 Simon Kenny, Content Agency 8 Southern Accents 9 Simon Kenny, Content Agency 10 Eric Roth via Elements of Style 11 Kitchen and Bath Ideas 12 House Beautiful via Pure Style Home 13 House Beautiful 14 Australian Home Beautiful 15 Conde Nast House and Garden South Africa 16 Australian Better Homes and Gardens 17 Australian Home Beautiful 18 via Windlost 19 Frank Greenwald via The Laurel Hedge 20 Atlanta Homes 21 Andreas von Einsiedel 22 Australian Home Beautiful
Best wishes,

21 comments:

Romana said...

So you have obviously condensed my kitchen dreams into a gorgeous post Catherine! Not sure there is anything we disagree on for our "one day" kitchens...maybe the bench top colour.... :)
Regards
Romana

Porchlight Interiors said...

Thats the problem with perfectly fine, practical kitchens - we can't justify tearing them out and replacing them with our dream kitchens. I hope your mister right comes along soon and makes your dreams come true! As for my husband - hes happy with the practical kitchen - whats a girl to do! Tracey xx

Tanya said...

You haven't thought about this much have you? ha ha Well, I have the red kitchenaid and I have painted my cabinets white, so obviously we're thinking alike. :) Loved all of the pictures including your kitchen. It looks great!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

You won't mind if I add each and every one of these kitchens to my wish list! (just kidding) but honestly, I think any one of these would fit quite nicely into the 'dream' home. You have FABULOUS taste Catherine. I've given up on Mr Right.. or even Mr Wrong.. just the house with kitchen will do :)

Lee said...

Oh, you've just described my dream kitchen to a T! Absolutely beautiful post. Lee :)

Caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

oh my god, such a complete and gorgeous list of white kitchens altogether! wow!

the7daggetts said...

What a batch of absolutely beautiful kitchens! They are all so lovely and are great inspiration. Lovely!

Sanctuary said...

Great inspiration! Inspiration also to clean out my existing one, where do all the bits and bobs appear from?!

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

I have been married for 29 years and have no hope of a new house...but I still dream. Good luck with yours, I hope it comes true soon.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Catherine,

Love all the beautiful kitchens, and what a dream that it would be to have one like these.

I love it that you have some vegetable and lentil soup bubbling on the stove, this is such a lovely part of Winter.

Stay warm
Hugs
Carolyn

CrowNology said...

Hi Catherine,
Wow! You do know what you want! Hopefully you get the man who doesn't want his input into every detail (like mine does...Whatever happened to "I don't care about colour. It's up to you." Or the strong silent type. ;) )
I love what you've done with the side bar of your blog. I'm not sure how long it's been done, as I usually read from google reader (not as much fun...) So pretty!
Thanks for the inspiration,
Andrea

My name is PJ. said...

Catherine - that was a very well thought out, detailed, darn impressive fantasy! I loved the photos, but while white cupboards in a kitchen look so nice, I think they are not the most practical when you have a family and you like things really clean. Can you tell I'm old? I sound like my mother!

Things That Inspire said...

White kitchens are the stuff dreams are made of!!! I am having my 1980s pickled cabinets stripped and painted white this week...it has been a long time coming, but I am excited! I was forced to buy a new fridge and ovens as my 21 year old models broke a few week ago (the fridge quite suddenly, and the oven was dying a slow death), and when the new stainless models were installed, the old sunstained cabinets no longer worked.

alice said...

These are all such beautiful dream kitchens!
Like you, I have my little touches of my dream kitchen in my current one...Those little touches do make such a nice impact, don't they?

Millie said...

I'm just about to curl up into a catonic, foetal position ball Catherine! What a fantastic post with the most gorgeous images. Don't have to tell you which is my fave! And as our bathroom is still a gutted shell, the kitchen project just got pushed back another 6 mths. - sob, sob!
Millie ^_^

Chic Little Shop said...

Great post about kitchen ideas.
I've been thinking about renovating my Kitchen. Your Dream Kitchen and mine are very similar(smile). Thank you for the wonderful post.

Regards,
Julie

River said...

I'm happy that my kitchen is tiny enough that I can clean it in five minutes, but I'd be happier with one that has actual usable bench space. And more cupboards. And room for a freezer. And....

Southern Aspirations said...

I am dreaming of a white kitchen! Mine is absolutely fine but I can't wait until I can have a beautiful white kitchen like many of those you posted...with glass-fronted cabinets and pops of colors.

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage said...

Fantatic photos!!!

I also love your comment about Mr. Right and the bigger house and perfectly behaved children. Hilarious...because I catch myself thinking things like that too. Except I'll have a shiny black Audi :-).

delightfuldwelling said...

Beautiful kitchens. I just love kitchens with white cabinets, so bright and refreshing. Now if I could only convince my husband to paint ours.

ed said...

視訊聊天室,視訊聊天,聊天室,視訊做愛,視訊,做愛,情色視訊,情色,免費視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊交友網,視訊交友,美女視訊,視訊美女,A片,AIO交友愛情館,AIO,日本A片,免費A片下載,免費A片,A片下載,AV片,AV,A,情色A片,情色,AV女優,A漫,H漫,成人漫畫,UT聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,成人聊天室,成人,愛情公寓,色情網站,寄情築園小遊戲,情色交友,一葉情貼圖片區,微風成人區,微風成人,微風論壇,成人網站,成人光碟,嘟嘟成人網,成人影城,18成人,成人電影,成人影片,本土自拍,自拍