Monday, April 13, 2009

Make your own jar labels

Well, I didn't spend my entire Easter eating chocolate, as tempting as that was. There was some quality family time, a movie (see my review in the sidebar), lunch out. And I finished off a little crafting.

Here's what I did:

DSC_0353

Labels for my kitchen staples!

Here are the jars before their labels were attached:

DSC_0352

I created the labels using Microsoft Word and then printed them out onto sheets of label paper. I then cut the labels out with a paper punch.

DSC_0354

And voila!

DSC_0356

And here’s a closeup….

DSC_0360

I'm a terribly messy cook, so no doubt they will have my sticky finger marks all over them soon, but then I can always print out another set!

My inspiration for these labels? The wonderful world of bloggers, of course! The super stylish Seleta of Simply Seleta made some amazing gifts for the students in one of her children's class - Martha would have been proud - using super cute little labels that she made herself, see here. Seleta, in turn, was inspired by Darby of Fly Though My Window, who gave some brilliant step-by-step instructions for creating round labels using Word here.

So using the counsel of these two bloggers, I created my own labels on Word. Not bad for someone who's never even used the 'draw' function ever before! However, I admit I did have some help from the wonderful Fiona when I got stuck a couple of times! Thanks Fi!

In the spirit of these ladies, who so generously shared their ideas, you can download my labels for yourself here. (By the way, if this link doesn’t work, email me and I’ll send you the link directly!). Then you can play around with them so that the labels suit your own pantry staples. If you don't have the font FG Jasmine 2 they may look a bit strange when you open the document, in which case change the font or you can buy Jasmine here, however there are some similar handwriting fonts that you can get for free.

And speaking of Fiona, please go check out the amazing Easter craft she made, here – it is absolutely gorgeous!

Hope you all had a fabulous Easter with your loved ones.

Best wishes,

24 comments:

Rachael said...

They look great Catherine - big job, but well worth the effort!

simply seleta said...

Okay, I'm officially impressed. Gorgeous!! You have great style. And love those jars.

As a organize junkie, these labels have me hooked. Thanks for sharing the link.

Wow!!!

sealaura said...

hola! great to hear you had a lovely easter and thanks so much for the easer gift of giving us these labels. I was so excited to see then and then worried I would not know where to start to recreate them. you are a lifesaver. Happy monday!

Blue Muse said...

Those are great labels, they look fantastic! I agree with Simply selta - your style is fabulous. Great job!
xo Isa

Angela Henrie said...

Yes! I have been wanting to do these but didn't know where to start. Thanks!

Caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

Oh such beautiful labels, Catherine! You must be proud!
xoxo

Kristin said...

For me being a bit of an organization freak (OCD denial! :) I am thinking this is just a pretty way to organize. So martha stewart like. LOVE IT!

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage said...

That is so cool! I can't believe you even attached yours for us to use. Thanks!

liz said...

Love, love, love! By the way, where did you get the jars? Are they airtight? I keep looking for the perfect jar for my pantry storage and those look fab. Thanks!!

citysage said...

These are, in a word, AWESOME! I love that you've worked a little pop of red into the most unassuming space! Perfection!

Blair said...

Oh, love these! What a great way to spice up your jars. I am with you on being a messy cook:)

the7daggetts said...

The labels look great! So cute. I'm glad you had a good Easter. I didn't even eat any chocolate, and I gained a pound over the weekend. Ugh. Time to get back to the business of eating healthy, I guess. :)

Lauren said...

they look so great!!! so organized!!
xoxo

j u s t i m a g i n e said...

oh now I feel like I have to go and clean out my pantry....looks fab Catherine !!!

My name is PJ. said...

You did a great, great job, Catherine! It's all about details, isn't it?

Rachel said...

They are so lovely! The font is great - I was actually wondering if it was your handwriting.

finominal said...

Wow hon, they look fabulous! I am simply going to have to replace all of my pantry storage so that I can label mine so beautifully aren't I? I just need to find the right jars!

Leigh said...

These are brilliant Catherine. I have identical jars that desperately require labelling - could I tempt you to the Southern Highlands for a label making session? I'd provide a lovely morning tea!

Karla said...

Love these! They look great! I may have to steal this idea for my cookie jar! :) Thanks for sharing!

~Karla @ It's The Little Things...

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Catherine,

Glad to hear that your Easter went well.

Love your jars and new labels and you must be feeling pleased to have them so neat and organized.
I wondered if that was your handwriting too.

Have a great week
Hugs
Carolyn

Lee said...

Catherine, your labels look brilliant! Love the red colour you've used. And, I'm totally impressed by the neatness of your pantry. Lee :)

Kerryanne English said...

I think your new labels look great Catherine and have really brightened up your pantry.

TheDecoDetective said...

The jars look really nice with the new labels! You should store them on open shelves for everyone to see. Great job! I haven't labelled anything so I always go "now, is this sugar or salt?" Makes life a bit exciting!

Catherine@Simply Natural said...

Hi Liz
I got the jars from Woolworths supermarket, here in Australia. They were a bargain, but probably a little bit too far away for you!