Friday, March 27, 2009

On a mission

antique sign mari eriksson

mari eriksson

Images Mari Eriksson – An Angel at My Table

I have a little mission: most weekends over the last couple of months I’ve been visiting my favourite auction house looking for a little cupboard that I can paint white. I want something that will tuck into a corner of my living room that I can fill with toys and top with a lovely mirror. It needs to be a certain height and width to fit nicely.

For me, half the fun of decorating is the searching - the thrill of the chase, the challenge of finding just what you have pictured in your mind, at the right price.

I’ve found a number of things that have caught my eye at the auction house, like an old typewriter and a beautiful antique perfume bottle with silver lid, but I missed out on both unfortunately – my absentee bids were too low. And my little cupboard has so far proved elusive.

So this weekend, in addition to going to the auction house I’ll also going a little further afield to Strathalbyn - a small town about an hour out of Adelaide that has some good antique shops. I’ll be going with a couple of friends, and we’ll stop and have lunch at a nice cafe, so it should be a pleasant day. Hopefully I will find what I’m looking for, but even if I don’t it should still be fun!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Best wishes,

23 comments:

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

Oh it sounds like a wonderful day! Have fun and happy hunting :)

Blue Muse said...

Hi Catherine! Those little cabinets you have pictured are just heartstoppingly gorgeous.
I love the chase, too! What a fabulous day you have in store - good luck on the hunt, and I can't wait to see your finds!
Happy weekend!
xo Isa

PJ said...

The thrill of the hunt! I'm there in spirit. I'm always in the thrill of the hunt in spirit! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE photo #1 - it's me in a nutshell.

Solange said...

OH, it can be quite hard sometimes to find something, and then, when you don't even pay attention or are thinking about it, it will be there!
Some cupboards are just perfect to paint, or to give a second life at home.
I am sure you will find something nice Catherine :-)

have a good weekend!

Marie said...

Sounds like a fun day planned for you! I wish you a victorious shopping day :)
-marie

Caroline @ Absolutely Unique said...

I adore those little cupboards painted white! Happy hunting weekend, darling!
xoxo

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I'm sure you will find your treasured cabinet. When you have a vision magic happens. I love your inspiration photos.

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage said...

Sounds fun! Enjoy.

Leigh said...

My idea of the perfect day - good luck with the hunt and any other little treasures you find. Enjoy!

citysage said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend you have planned. Hope you find what you're looking for---as well as something you're not!

xo
Anne

j u s t i m a g i n e said...

oh wow.....how lovely wish I could come !!!! Have a wonderful day....hope you find something amazing !!!

Lee said...

Good luck on your mission! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. And even if you don't manage to find your little cupboard, time spent with good friends is always time well spent anyway. Enjoy your weekend. Lee :)

timelesshome annika said...

I love the two pictures taken by Marie Eriksson.She lives twenty minutes from my house and we hade lunch two weeks ago.She have a special light in her pictures. Well,well thank you again for theinspiration I am glad I found your blogg.
Take care
Annika

Sabina said...

Hello!
I live in Finland - on the other side of the globe - and I found your wonderful blog, it is fabulous!!!
I will be back, searching for inspiration and dreaming away... the pictures are so beautiful!
Have a nice weekend!
Sabina

Nicole said...

Hi Catherine, stumbled across your gorgeous blog full of inspiration, thank you! I have an old typewriter and just adore the old clickety clack - and the old bakerlite telephone still works too. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

Blair said...

Oh, that sounds like an amazing way to spend your day! Good luck!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Catherine,

That sounds like a fun day, shopping and having lunch with your friends.
I hope that your mission is successful and you find the piece of furniture.

Have a happy weekend
Hugs
Carolyn

River said...

I love the hunt, the searching, fossicking around in secondhand and junk shops, sometimes in antique shops, looking for just the riing. My ex didn't understand this. He'd buy the first item we came across if I'd let him and never got over the fact that we spent almost a year without a coffee table in the family room, because I couldn't find what I wanted. You're going to love Strathalbyn.

River said...

Typo. "riing"=thing

ness lockyer said...

Sounds superb. Wish I could hunt with you and I really hope you get your little cupboard.
Ness xx

vicki archer said...

Good luck Catherine - I hope you found it, xv.

Rachael said...

Hi Catherine,
Feel like I haven't stopped by for ages!
I hope your trip proved fruitful and you are now in the possession of one gorgeous little cupboard!

Alison Gibbs said...

Keep on looking - you will eventually find the right thing. You are right - half the fun is in the search
Alison