Monday, March 2, 2009

Maybe I'm crazy, but...

In my last post I showed you a photo of one of my newly slip-covered couches. They look very white in the photo, but in reality, they are more of a creamy white.

But still, some people must think I'm crazy having white couches, especially as I live with a seven year old little bundle of energy who loves to jump on the couches at every opportunity (and I do mean jump!).

But to me, white couches make perfect sense.




For starters, they provide such a calm, neutral base to a room.



They can make a room look bigger, lighter and brighter than it actually is, much like white paint. I have a small living area, but because it is light-filled and pale, it looks pretty spacious.

But one of the best reasons for white couches is that you can have fun switching your accessories to create completely different looks - because seriously, is there ANY colour that doesn't go with white? That appeals to the commitment-phobe in me!

White couches look fantastic with calm blues....




...zingy reds....


....glamourous greys and silvers....


....and pretty pastels (my current favourite!). I'm coveting that ottoman too by the way!



And with a neutral couch as a base, you can go a bit wild with your walls if you want. I adore this gigantic artwork by Marcella Kaspar, who I've posted about before.




But THE best thing about white couches? For me, it's the fact that with slip covers, you can throw your covers in the wash time and time again, soak them in bleach or Napisan even, without fear of fading. And you can get basic white cotton material for covers pretty cheaply too!


So with white slip covered couches, kids jumping on couches is definitely not out of the question!

21 comments:

Fiona said...

No, you are far from crazy hon, they look fantastic. The couches in my formal lounge will be replaced with white ones as soon as I can swing it. I think I will keep the neutral ones in the family room though, because even though your little man is ALL BOY, my little man is ALL GROT and I don't fancy stripping the couches every few days. Lovely images and loads of fabulous ideas as usual!

Caroline @ Absolutely Unique said...

You've totally convinced me. I'll renew my white covers with more white covers. Despite my 8 and 9 years old little demons!
Thanks for your lovely comments!
xoxo

TPK said...

I have been leaning in the direction of a light-colored couch lately, for many of the reasons you mention, and this post might just convince me to give it a go :) Beautiful compilation!

Marie said...

Catherine, you are not crazy! I have a white couch in my living room and I have two dogs. J'adore white couches because they are so versatile!
-marie

Tina said...

you're a genius! i've alwasy loved white sofas, with no particular reason, i just love them, so thanks so much for the list of very valid reasons! :D

ps, absolutely adores your blog! so many beautiful rooms here, i'd love to exchange links if you're interested? :)

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage said...

Beautiful photos! My next couch will be a white slipcovered sofa. I REALLY wanted one when I was couch shopping a couple years ago but I couldn't talk my now ex-husband into it, so we went with the lightest tan I could get him to agree to. I like them, but still dream of white slipcovers.

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

You are so RIGHT, I too have white sofa's (mine are leather) easy to clean, and I love the options of color change..... I too love the slip covers.....

xoxo,
Cathleen

Lauren said...

They're all beautiful!!! love them
xoxo

Cara said...

I, too, want to make the switch! I just don't know if I should slipcover and 10yr. old sleeper sofa or go with new! And I don't know if I should go with linen or cotton! So confused!!
Cara

Romana said...

Great post once again Catherine - thankyou! You have summes up exactly why I am leaning towards getting some white slipcovers made. Thanks for refering your upholsterer - one of my projects for 2009!

Alison Gibbs said...

Fabulous post Catherine. You are so right about the white paint and covers making a room seem bigger.
White slip covers have to be on my 2009 to do list - or replace my couches with white slipcovered ones.
Alison

Melissa said...

Beautiful post. I am in the process of making white slip covers for my couch and love the looks you have shown here.

Beautiful Living said...

I have white couches too, and can't really imagine having anything else. Yours are truly stunning :)

TheDecoDetective said...

I totally agree! I'm a commitment phobic too, so painting a room in anything else than white is out of the question.
Nice blog btw - found you via Anna Spiro!
Trudi

ness lockyer said...

You are talking my language. Not crazy at all.
Ness xx

Kimberlee said...

the sofa with the 'reds' - delicious! xx

Things That Inspire said...

I love the look! As far as the color - I have a cream chenille chair and a half in my family room, and believe it or not, 12 years later is still looks great. I had it treated with Fiberseal when I got it, which seemed like such an expense at the time, but I credit it with keeping all of my upholstery looking great for many years.

j u s t i m a g i n e said...

White couches are divine.....my husband made my go the dark leather option and I look at a little sadly every day. On the up side...love that last image with the white frames....I was thinking of doing exactly this and now I can see how fab it looks...yay...thanks for a wonderful post !

kerri said...

I have a white/off-white couch and THREE little boys (oldest is not quite seven). I wish it was a slip-cover but I'm managing... I do love how it makes the other colors in the room pop. And how it is such a surprise for everyone knowing my boys!

ed said...

情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣精品,情趣精品,情趣精品,情趣玩具,情趣玩具,情趣玩具,情趣禮物,情趣禮物,情趣禮物,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,視訊美女,視訊美女,視訊美女,情趣,情趣,情趣
,情趣商品,情趣商品,情趣商品,情趣商品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣

Bonnie said...

My kids are now teens and twenty and I have had a white couch all their growing up years. I loved it! It's now looking a little worn and grey and is in desperate need of slipcovers but I refuse to give it up because it is soooo comfortable. You have given me inspiration to get on the job!