Monday, March 16, 2009

I’m leaning towards this

atlanta bartlett via pure style home

Forgive if me if I go on about mirrors. But to me they are such a great choice for decorating your walls. Original art is usually out of my price range (at least the art I want!) but you can pick up mirrors at a reasonble cost, and the right mirror can add as much beauty and originality as a a piece of art.

ballarddesignsdotcom

Currently, I’m favouring mirrors casually leaned/propped up against the wall. It looks more informal than a proper ‘hanging’. I keep seeing them everywhere.

mirror appley

Granted, a full length mirror casually propped up against the wall would be a potential hazard, especially if you have small children hurtling around the place. But still, I’m sure you could secure them to the wall discreetly (the mirrors that is, not the children!).

amersterdam homes and gardens uk

 

f. vasseur

They look great propped up on tables too, like here below.  I love the imperfections of the rubbed off parts of the mirror – beautiful!

antique mirror paul massey

 

This is such a sweet little vignette below, a study in blue and white.

simply white mirror sweet paul

This is my one and only mirror that I have leaning.  It’s in my bedroom, and in this picture the mirror is decorated for Christmas with a banner my friend Fiona and I made (‘how to’ details on that are coming up on Fiona’s blog shortly). I’m on the look out for another mirror that I can prop up on my hall table. DSC_0127

Images 1 Atlanta Bartlett via Pure Style Home 2 Ballard Designs 3 Appley Hoare 4 Homes and Gardens 5 Cote Maison 6 Paul Massey 7 Sweet Paul 8 Me

I also want to say a big thank you to those of you who read my blog, but in particular I send my gratitude to those of you who so kindly and generously comment – you always make my day and inspire me.  Thank you!

Best wishes,

22 comments:

Rachael said...

My favourite is the mirror in your room - just gorgeous.
i'm loving stacked mirrors at the moment, but also love the big ones lent against walls too - however small children is an issue in my home, and one small boy in particular who wouldn't be able to resist temptation...

ness lockyer said...

To give you hope Catherine, our two boys are always hurtling up our hallway where our really heavy mirror is propped up on a table and, touch wood, it hasn't moved yet. I did put some white blu tac under the base though.
Ness xx

Patty said...

I have had mirrors on the mind as well...I love the one in the first photo (and the skirt as well)...

I'ts Cosmic Rock... said...

Yes....I know what you mean...lovely!

Romana said...

I have a fairly generous mirror propped against the wall that my girls love dancing in, really too cute. It was just from a cheap shop (read: resin frame, lol), but I like the frame pattern, so will eventually get around to painting the frame for more texture. I also like the look of empty picture frames propped against a large mirror.

Sarah said...

I just found your blog (not sure how), but I love it. It is so much like my style. I LOVE the mirror in the first picture!

Lee and Beth said...

I love mirrors, too. Not only do they look pretty, but they also do a great service by reflecting light back into the room. Gotta love that!

vicki archer said...

I love all mirrors Catherine and think that there can never be too many. Gorgeous choice of images, xv.

Jade Creative said...

Love the mirrored vignettes.
I am a fan of old worn mirrors. This spring I'll be on the look out for one that could be placed in my small garden.
By the way, thanks for visiting.
later...
Darlene

Solange said...

ah, love a good mirror. I can looking at the moment for a standing one, I don-t have a mirror yet, where I can see myself fully dressed.
Your post is wonderful, and I think you deserve all the faithful comments and readers!

have a nice day!

LaurenFaythe said...

I love mirrors too, especially the antiqued ones. I don't have any though, so I was trying to figure out how to antique them using chemicals. It sounded too hazardous, so I guess I will have to purchase one some day!

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage said...

P'shaw, I never get tired of reading about mirrors! The mirrors in the post are all gorgeous. I love the age and patina on them. I also love the mirror in your bedroom. That frame is fantastic!

Blair said...

Oh, I just love all of these options! You have confirmed my obsession with leaning mirrors.

Marie said...

I agree with you Catherine...big mirrors like those, give out larger impact when they're leaning on walls rather than hung. J'adore them too coz they double up the space of the room.
-marie

simpledaisy said...

I love mirrors and have a large one propped up against the wall in my living room....
Take care!!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Catherine,

I like your post on mirrors.
I think that they always make a room seem much bigger and reflect the light to make it brighter and lighter.

Your mirror in your room is very pretty.

Have a great week
Hugs
Carolyn

Alison Gibbs said...

Hi Catherine, love the mirrors.
I do love them leaning against the walls, but as you said mirrors and children don't mix!! LOL
Alison

alice said...

I love every single one!
The garland you made is so cute... I thought about doing something like that a few days before christmas and of course never got to it!
Personally, I like propped mirrors usually.. .a more casual appearance. And they're a little easier to move around from spot to spot that way too!

alice said...

I love every single one!
The garland you made is so cute... I thought about doing something like that a few days before christmas and of course never got to it!
Personally, I like propped mirrors usually.. .a more casual appearance. And they're a little easier to move around from spot to spot that way too!

j u s t i m a g i n e said...

oooooooh I have one of these waiting for me in a wholesaler....I will sent you a picture when I get it.....you have made me excited...great post !

Porchlight Interiors said...

I love all these pictures you posted Catherine! Large mirrors leaning up against a wall make a real statement in any room - I love the old discoloured mirrors the best. Tracey xx

Jessica said...

searching for Bedroom Furniture Store at reasonable prices, then log on to Spacify.com.