Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Holding it all together...just

I take real pleasure in being organised. A place for everything and everything in its place: this makes me feel happy and content. In fact, my need for order is like a primal urge. I go a little stir crazy if things are in disarray.

Christine Rudolph via Desire to Inspire

I think organising appeals to me for two reasons. One is the aesthetic part. It's hard to see beauty if it is piled under a heap of junk. And a neat and organised cupboard or drawer is a thing of beauty in itself, and can be so satisfying. The other aspects is all about control. In this world of chaos and time pressures, at least I can fold my linens beautifully!


But there's one little problem...while I love organising, and being organised, I can also (and I hate admitting this) be a little lazy sometimes...and other times I'm just too damn tired and can't be bothered.

But I learnt a great tip at an organising course I went to some time ago by the fabulous, stylish and inspiring MaryAnne Bennie. MaryAnne runs her own organising company out of Melbourne called In8. I took many things away from her course, but one of the most effective tips was the '8 minute tip'. Her tip for getting things done and motivating yourself, is to challenge yourself to see what you can get done in 8 minutes.


This is a direct quote from MaryAnne's website:
In 8 minutes you can

File paperwork - do this frequently and the filing will be done!
Delete emails - watch your inbox contents disappear in no time!
Pay your bills - do this once a week and never be overdue!
Whiz around the bathroom - have a tidy bathroom forever!
Tidy the bedroom AND make the bed like a 5 Star Hotel - love is in the air!
Do the dishes - impossible? TRY IT!


So when I'm feeling unmotivated, and the house, or a particular part of it is in a pickle and needs my attention, I often set the timer on my microwave, and spend 8 very focused, productive minutes on getting my house in order. Quite often I keep going....but sometimes I stop at 8 minutes and just put my feet up - but at least I've done something.



By the way, the picture above is a little set of drawers that sits on my desk, holding all my bits and bobs required for my office - a good thing, as I have no drawers in my desk. I love it when beauty and practicality meet!
Now, if you have any other tips for motivating yourself to be organised, please share!
Best wishes,

15 comments:

ness lockyer said...

Love your drawers! I dont like this to be a mess either. I do the Speedcleaning thing and run around with a basket picking stuff up (toys) that dont belong and then out it all away. I have to have beds made after breakfast and I dont like to leave if the house isnt tidy...anal I know!
Ness xx

LexyB said...

Oh - I wish I could be organised. Alas. It isn't so. I personally love Lissanne Oliver's attitude to it all - she even blogs about it. She ain't at all anal and explains it for messy folk like me!

Cathy Louise said...

Oh I try to be organised and having a tiny house helps but some days oh my it is beyond me and I think the 8 minute rule sounds cool....Great post as always...C xx

Lauren said...

I think the 8 minute tip is amazing!!!!

hmmm... my organizing tip is don't fight your life. Figure out all the spaces in which you make messes & try to make the mess pretty... i.e a basket or dish for mail that goes on your console, or if you will always have dishes drying by the sink, invest in a pretty dish rack or one that fits inside the sink.. tht kind of thing.

love all the pics & great post!!
xoxo,
lauren

Lee and Beth said...

I wish I could be more organized, too. It makes me feel calmer and more at ease in my own home. And it never does take as long to do the things that we hate to do so much(like washing dishes)as we think it does. It's always good to remember that.

Terri said...

I love your little desk drawers. I am like you - I like everything in its place! And I always speed-tidy the house for 10 min or so before bedtime just to de-cluttter. It feels nice to wake up to less chaos!

Camilla at home said...

I will definitely try this 8minute tips, often it is to get started that isis my problem;) Your drawers are beautiful!

Vanya @ Endless Inspiration said...

8 minutes, what a great idea, I love it. I sometimes do they - ok I'm going to put away 30 things, but 8 minutes is much more fun and fast!

Beautiful Living said...

Wow, super motivating post! 8 minutes, here I come! :) Will definitly try it. The bathroom is first.

Romana said...

great collection of images! I like to be organised, but struggle if things don't start in the right place - you know, will use a spice rack if there is one, but if there isn't, I struggle to get the motivation to go buy the correct one, sort out the spices etc etc. My best tip with two littlies is to clean the bathroom while they have a bath. I saw Stephmodo list it also recently, and I love getting the bathroom off the housework list. Other times I will fold laundry while keeping an eye on my children.

Millie said...

What a star you are dear Catherine! I would so love to be like you, but living with Mr. Serial Renovator/Demolition King makes it pretty challenging. However, I do have a house rule during building renovation work, that the Master Bedroom is always done first & becomes that perfect haven of gorgeousness I can escape to.
Millie ^_^

mondo cherry said...

I am similar to Millie in that I can cope with chaos throughout the house if the main bedroom is clean and tidy. I do something similar to the 8 minute clean up for getting my kids to tidy up. I usually pick a random number between 3 and 10 and set a timer and they clean up until the timer goes. We also do a ten thing pick up - if all of us put 10 things away that is 70 things back where they belong. And 10 pieces of lego don't count!!!
Those drawers are gorgeous.
Clare

LaurenFaythe said...

I think organized rooms are so beautiful! I only wish I could do it for myself! Thanks for the motivation!

dwellings and decor said...

I wish my medicine cabinet looked like that! Thanks for the tip!

ed said...

情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣精品,情趣精品,情趣精品,情趣玩具,情趣玩具,情趣玩具,情趣禮物,情趣禮物,情趣禮物,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,視訊美女,視訊美女,視訊美女,情趣,情趣,情趣
,情趣商品,情趣商品,情趣商品,情趣商品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣