Friday, January 23, 2009

Trestle treasures

I've spent most of the day preparing for the start of school next week - you know, making sure my son's uniform is clean and labelled, checking shoes still fit, sorting out the stationery. This year my son will be going to a new school. He has major behavioural difficulties, and quite frankly, his old school just couldn't handle him anymore. They were over it. And so was I. It was a horrendous year for all concerned. So, after agonising over it for quite some time, I am sending him to a new school and hoping for the best. Hoping they can see the good side, and manage the more difficult side with respect and understanding. We met his new teacher yesterday and toured the school. I have my fingers crossed this is the right thing for my son and that he will blossom under their care.

So that has been what's been keeping me awake at night this past week. But in the meantime...on to something far more decor related....trestle tables! I love them! Don't know why...maybe that they just look a little more special than the standard table legs? I'm not really sure. But what I am sure of is that I like them to be old and rustic and worn, or failing that, painted white. Here's some favourite pictures.

This magnificent example looks like its been around for a hundred years or so....



Whilst this is far more modern....




I love this unassuming little number, accessorised to perfection....




Love this earthy little example. It was probably sitting in someone's garage for years, waiting to be discovered. Love the great way they've decorated it, with the old cases, the cloche, and that interesting round thingey! What IS that round thingey?





Here's another newbie, whitewashed...






A favourite of mine, in a very Frenchy room....





Another white washed number, paired with a modern take on the chandelier for a surprise element......




This is my own trestle table. I had it specially made to my measurements, using recycled wood, but it doesn't look as old or as battered as I had hoped. A little too pristine for my liking. Maybe I'll paint it white one day.




Now yesterday I wrote about kitchen transformations, and coincidentally Gina at Willow Decor has posted about her own fabulous kitchen transformation. Go have a look if you haven't seen it already, it's simply stunning! As is her perfect little jewel box of a butler's pantry. Gina has so much vision and style.
Images 1 Australian Home Beautiful 2 Notebook Magazine 3 Daryl Carter via Pure Style Home 4 & 5 Australian Country Style 6 unknown

12 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

Best of luck to you and to your wonderful son. I think he'll 'find himself' at his new school and a lot of your headaches will disappear. Fingers crossed!

Oh you WILL NOT BELIEVE what the word verification is - MESSER!!!!

Solange said...

Oh, I am sorry to hear about your concerns for your son. Hope he can get a better year in the new school.
Let's hope he will like it better in the new school!

thanks for the nice pictures and enjoy the weekend.

take care,
Solange

Millie said...

Keeping fingers crossed for you & your precious boy Catherine. Won't it be a lovely year for you both if he feels happy & secure in his new surroundings.

Lovely trestle post - what a fabulous array of different styles you've shown us. Happy weekend to you & try not to worry too much.
Millie ^_^
P.S. What's going on @ Blogger - over @ Dzintra's blog today my word verification was OVULATE - I bloody hope not @ 53!!!!

ness lockyer said...

Hey Twin!
I really enjoyed this post. Dad was supposed to make me a tressel table for my office but we ran out of time, so I have to make do with bunnings ones and a recycled top. I am going to take to it with a chain, nails and some black bees wax!!

I hope your little Man settles into his new school well this year, and they give him the encouraging hand he needs.
Ness xx

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Catherine,

I don't have any kids so I don't really have an words of wisdom, but I hope your son has a much better time at this school. It sounds like the tour went well so hopefully everything will go smoothly this school year.

I love the last dining room picture you posted. Love everything about it!

Blair said...

Oh, what absolutely lovely images. I love that office space. Ann at City Sage was right--very soothing.

Willow Decor: said...

How sweet of you to mention my kitchen and butler's pantry! It was a project that was great fun for me. I love the trestle tables and am searching for one for my new breakfast room! You have so many wonderful examples!
xx-Gina
BTW, I added you to my favorite blog listing!

Kimberlee said...

Hey darling - I'm sure this year will be positive and productive for your son. It is never easy and my father is a principal. All the best and loving your posts as always gorgeous x

Beautiful Living said...

I really love the picture with the zebra rug... Great selection! :)

Beautiful Living said...

And all the best for your son! Hopefully things will be ok :)

lily-g said...

My step son a few years back was asked to leave his school through bad behavior, we had no choice but to move him and we have never looked back, he was a lot better in his new school. We found out later he was bullied and didn't have many friends now that has all changed, I wish you lots of luck, I know how hard it is on you too.

MelsRosePlace said...

Hi Catherine - i am late in replying to this one so not sure if you will read it but i hope all goes well with your son at his new school. My 11 yo started a new school this week - i had her repeat yr 6 as she was such a struggler and hated school most of the time and already she is loving it and cant wait to go again so a change can be the best thing. Mel xxx