Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Nautical Style

I love nautical style. Soft blues, lots of white, sandy hues, antique seaside ephemera, shells, lots of texture....When it is is done in a subtle, neutral, relaxed sort of way, nautical style can be just perfect. Like these two pictures below:

What I love about those two bedrooms is that the nautical theme is definitely present, but it isn't over the top, just nicely done. There's lovely little touches of blue - cushions, flowers, pictures, along with a starfish, a bottle, a seaside picture or two, and some nautical themed pages, torn from magazines and simply tacked up on the walls. Lovely!
And in keeping with this nautical theme, I am very excited, because three lovely books have just made their way to me - two of which are on the nautical theme. I order most of my books by mail, because they are cheaper that way, and there's nothing better than getting a package of books in the mail. Here's what I got:

Both coastal style and island life feature some of the home of the impossibly glamorous India Hicks, she of the impeccable English gentry lineage and bridesmaid to Princess Diana, who was recently featured in Cookie. See here.

Here's some little snippets of her style, taken from Island Life:







And here's a peak of Coastal Style:


Easy, breezy nautical style - I love it!

13 comments:

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

Surely you have read my mind! I've been dreaming about all things coastal! Love you books, If I can't go on vacation i guess I could look at all the lovely pictures...

xoxo,
Cathleen

ness lockyer said...

I am working with a client at the moment who is totally into this type of beach style. You just gave me some inspiration for my next brief...ta!
Ness xx

DomesticDivasFancy said...

I too love those two first pictures...I dont like when a nautical theme is overdone...those rooms are perfect because they are not to overbearing. Thanks for the beautiful photos.

Lauren said...

I love those 2 rooms (I've had them bookmarked in my Domino File! :) I think I need to go buy those books now... They look amazing. Thanks for showing us!!

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

Feels so vacation-y. Love it!

A-M said...

Beautiful rooms.. yes soft blues and sandy hues are just perfect. Enjoy your gorgeous books! A-M xx

AlexB said...

Nautical style can all go a little too Popeye. I stayed in this cutesy fibro once that was O.T.T nautical. Take a look at Bowery Bathers at http://www.lovemelovemydog.com.au ... fun for a couple of days but I don't know if I could live with it.

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

I love those two images. They are perfect. Nautical can be a bit difficult at times, because it can very easily run into chessy, but they are perfect.

I am completely envious of those books. I must order them. Like you I love ordering them online. I adore getting packages in the mail.

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Ooooh I just took a peek through the coastal book at the bookstore last weekend...so is it good?? Love India Hicks and her style and vibe!

Had lot's of fun checking out your blog!

Maya@Completely Coastal said...

I love nautical style..., the subtle kind that is (too). The Coastal Style Book looks sooo great. I think I treat myself to that.

MelsRosePlace said...

Yes yes yes....am so into this type of styling - i read on one of the blogs that a magazine called Cookie has a feature on India Hicks, i wish i could remember which blog it was as there were some lovely new piccies. LOVE IT. Melxxx

MelsRosePlace said...

ooh forgot to say i have Coastal Style too, isnt it lovely, i borrowed the INdia Hicks one from the library though! Mel xxx

citysage said...

Mmmm...yummy! Both books look amazing, definitely worth keeping an eye out for them stateside! I had no idea india hicks was one of di's bridesmaids. what a great piece of trivia!