Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Little snapshots of my home



Phewee! It reached something like 41 degrees today (106 degrees F). Hot hot hot. Thank goodness for airconditioning. As Millie from the Laurel Hedge said, it is going to stay like this pretty much all week here in Adelaide, so I will be going into hibernation!

Today I thought I would show you the shells I have in my home. I like shells. In fact, I love shells. Maybe I'm even a little obsessed by them....you be the judge....

Here is a collection of bleached shells. I love their pristine, white beauty. I've grouped a mix of shell types together on an antique pewter plate



Here's more bleached shells, in a glass jar. I love the particular shape of these ones



One single conch shell is all you need when it is this big



Various shells mixed in with some scented candles in a rustic wooden bowl. It looks lovely lit up at night.






Another cluster of shells in a wooden pedestal. I love all the colours, textures and patterns of these particular shells, all jumbled together


Polished, pearl-like shells in my bathroom against my tumbled marble feature mosaics















Another polished shell, this time in the hallway. When they are this big, all you need is one for impact




And another in my bedroom


Oh and lastly, one in my living room





So if you haven't guessed by now, shells are a passion! I have them in just about every room in my house. Most of them I have bought on various holidays in Queensland, so not only do I find them beautiful to look at, but they also remind me of special times in lovely places. Some of my smaller ones in my pedestal bowl I was lucky enough to find along beaches in Adelaide, especially my favourite beach at Port Willunga.


Thank you for taking the time to view these little snapshots of my home.

13 comments:

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

Vey, very pretty! You've done the shell thing in such a tasteful way. Love it!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Oh those shells all look so pretty. I love the way they add some substance to an empty bowl. Just lovely.

Totally jealous of your hot hot weather. I've been oh so cold in NY and have been constantly day dreaming of a warm sunny place to go on vaca!!!

I want to move it with you!!!!

Heidi said...

I am loving all the shells in your house, I have several as well. I wanted to thank you for doing a post on Clair, you know I am obsessed with it. I also wanted to share some info I heard about fish oil and children. I don't know first hand if it works but it is all natural. The website that had the most info is http://www.fishoilblog.com/benefits/fish-oil-proven-more-effective-than-ritalin-for-adhd.php
I hope your little boy has a great time at his new school. Mine is 6 and we have our times. Thanks again for sharing. Love ya, Heidi

j u s t i m a g i n e said...

Fabulous fabulous, I myself have a obsession with candles ....is that a glass house candle I spy???

Solange said...

Love the shells around your home! I think it can be hard to keep them neat and together, but you have thought of stylish ways of presenting them.
enjoy your week and good luck with the heat...

Solange ;-)

alice said...

Each image is so refreshing... I love how the elements become so sculptural when they're displayed on their own... very beautiful!

MelsRosePlace said...

Love, love, love them - i am the same, adore shells and the way you have displayed them is beautiful. I should take some photos of mine this week and post..will let you know. everything looks divine Catherine. Hope that heat goes elsewhere soon (not here). Mel xxx

Alison Gibbs said...

Hi Catherine, loving the shell look. The weather sure has been hot here on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria too! We are in for a week of 40+
Alison

ness lockyer said...

Obsession...no surely not! lol
They are all lovely. I love your lanterns btw.
Ness xx

DomesticDivasFancy said...

Two of my most favorite things...candles and seashells.

Amanda said...

Thanks for popping by my blog Catherine. You have such a lovely home and a gorgeous blog.

Have you seen the online shop Whiteport? I just received a newsletter and they're having a 20% off sale tomorrow. http://www.whiteport.com.au/

Amanda xx

LexyB said...

Look at all those shells! You'll make my 5 year old shell-obsessed offspring most jealous

Millie said...

Wow - you & that new camera of yours is producing the loveliest images Catherine! Really fabulous pics of what is obviously one of your favourite things & rightly so too! Last pic is my favourite, just gorgeous.
Millie ^_^