Monday, December 15, 2008

Easily distracted....

I went Christmas shopping on the weekend, and managed to knock over quite a few things on my list. However, I kept getting sidetracked by all the wonderful Christmas decorations.


I bought some deep red, matt baubles with silver tops and velvet ribbon. I put some on a small antique pewter plate....

.....and some on a black wooden pedestal bowl.

I bought some baby red shiny ones to match and put them on the tree.....
....as well as some pearl garlands for a little bit of romance.

Then I took off some of my old baubles and put them in a glass jar in my hallway, because I like to keep my tree looking a little spare.
So there you have it, I couldn't resist!

The rest of the weekend was pretty busy, as we also had an early family Christmas celebration with my brother's family, who were in Adelaide for the weekend. I made a chocolate berry pavlova for desert.
This was a Nigella Lawson recipe. I love her recipe books, as much for the writing as for the recipes themselves. She describes the chocolate pavlova like this:

"The crisp and chewy chocolate meringue base, rich and cocoa and beaded nuggets of chopped plain chocolate, provides a smooth sombre, almost purple-brown layer beneath the fat whiteness of the cream and matt, glowering crimson rasperies on top: it is a killer combination".
I just love the way she writes. I don't think my clumsy attempt quite met up to Nigella's elegant and evocative description, but it was appreciated by the family nonetheless.
Not many sleeps to go now!

8 comments:

delamare said...

Catherine, I've been meaning to write a post about a pavlova too! I recently made one, my first in about 25 years, after re-discovering my grandmother's old recipe. I've decided that summer 2008-09 is all about the pav ... I should try this recipe too...

Beautiful Living said...

I love your little lantern... :) And pavlova is fantastic, we usually make them for Christmas eve!

Solange said...

beautiful decorations and hooray for your tree, really nice. I love Nigella....the episodes on tv, the books, it-s all so infectious and then you try it yourself....mmm....well, your pie looks really good, I hope it was delicious.
have fun these days with the decoration and family visit.
Solange :-)

Kath Lockett said...

Firstly a)Gorgeous, and b) YUM!

I made the Nigella recipe a few years ago too and it was a winner!

euthymic said...

i enjoy the way you take pleasure in making something beautiful with the use of small things i also keep christmas baubles on a plate, but it's a silver plate and needs polishing. maybe i'll just tell myself it's a rare antique, ha ha ha!

Kimberlee said...

beautiful Catherine, and that pavlova, yum and wow! xx

Fiona Taylor said...

Love the pearl garlands and baubles...and next time you are visiting, feel free to contribute a pav :) Glad to hear someone is getting on top of their christmas shopping. I for one will be braving the shops tomorrow with both children in tow, trying desperately to get it all done in one day. Wish me luck!

ed said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣商品,中古車,二手車,情色小說,色情,情色視訊,寄情築園小遊戲,AIO交友愛情館,色情遊戲,情色交友,嘟嘟情人色網,言情小說,一葉情貼圖片區,情色論壇,色情影片,情色網,色情漫畫,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,視訊聊天室,080聊天室,視訊聊天,美女交友,視訊做愛,情色視訊,免費視訊A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人光碟