Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Teeny tiny tables

I adore little tables. I don't particularly know why. I like them best when they are simple and unassuming, with clean lines. Maybe I like them so much because they lend themselves to endless opportunities to create little 'vignettes' - a spot to place a few flowers in a cup, some shells, tealights or a framed photo of someone you love. Anyway, here are some of my favourites.

This first one is a butler's tray - I have a thing for butler's trays! I like how the boxes have been stacked up. I've had this picture for years, hence the picture is a little yellow and tatty.





Next up a lovely little metal table, from Nancy Fishelson. I adore metal tables.

Here is another metal table. This was featured in Australian Home Beautiful. The whole house has a gorgeous French feel to it. I love the letter too. I have a metal C in my kitchen on top of my cupboards.


Next up, a marble topped table from Appley Hoare. Its probably a little too girly for my house, but I still appreciate it.


An unusual metal table from Eva Lindh - I've never seen anything like this in the shops before.


This little table is from an old old magazine which no longer exists - Australian Mode. This table is (was) in the home of Aussie fashion-icon Maggie Taberrer. Now this is a woman with timeless style. I am going to post more about Maggie and her fabulous houses another day.


Just love this little bamboo table with the shells strewn around, from US Better Homes and Gardens.


Next up a simple, stylish little table from New Zealands Your Home and Garden.



This next one is so unusual. It reminds me of antique iron board, perhaps it is? And the buddha on top just adds to the beauty - I love a little touch of Asia.


Now here is one of my butler's tray. This one has a twin, but it was full of books and magazines - too messy to photograph!


And my table I bought a few weeks ago - a bargain buy at $75. I love a bargain. Nothing in my house is particularly expensive, but everything is chosen with care and love.

11 comments:

Porchlight Interiors said...

I'm loving this post Catherine! We have a collection of small tables that we use in our styling projects all the time - so versatile because you don't need to put a huge amount on them to look stunning! Tracey x

Cathy Louise said...

These are just so gorgeous, thanks Catherine for sharing.... It just makes me want to redecorate every time I see a new post....luv c xxx

citysage said...

I just LOVE the third and fifth images---I have such a thing for spring blooms like lily of the valley, and those silver julep cups are just the right size for the darling little table!

Any tips on positioning these little beauties? I never know where to put them because it feels like I'm just plonking them down randomly...how to make them feel 'intentional' is what I'm wondering about!

OLIVEAUX said...

The little tables are just fabulous Catherine! They always make such a beautiful display. Have a great weekend. Amanda x

Millie said...

What a fabulous post Catherine!! Agree with you about butler's trays - I've got 2 very different ones & just love them! Am trying to work out a way to sneak another into the house without MOTH noticing!

Absolutely love that metal table from Eva Lindh, so deliciously different. Had to giggle at the pic of Magggie T's little table. Is that a photo of her old boyfriend Richard what's his name? She's such a class act, she was too good for him!
Millie ^_^

mondo cherry said...

I particularly love that metal table by Nancy Fishelson - it is exactly what I have been looking for. I already have my little collection of things to put on it, just need the table! And I think I have just bought myself the same bunch of twigs as in the bottom photo - they expand and I thought they would be perfect for my front balcony with a few Christmas decorations!
Clare

vicki archer said...

Wonderful post - fabulous tables and great styling. Home to tidy up my tables!

Mélanie said...

lovely post ! I love small table

Heidi said...

You know I have a thing for mint julep cups and bamboo. They too are some of my weaknesses. Heidi

Kath Lockett said...

Your two tables are right up there with those featured in magazines, Catherine

Margery said...

I adore the metal table from Eva Lindh. It's so unique! I have a thing for metal tables. In fact, I have a few collection of hand forged iron tables and hand forged iron hooks. Some were bought from antique shops, thrift stores and some were handed down to me by my great grandparents. I’m fond of metal furniture because they are timeless and very durable.